In the Royals 11-8 victory, Jeff Francouer’s 16th home run of the season was also his 1,000th hit of his career. Some fun Jeff Francouer facts:
- His first and 1,000th career hits were both home runs.
- His .794 OPS is the highest for any season in which he’s had more than 300 at-bats.
- I think he has 800 career home runs.
- He’s second in the Majors in doubles, one behind Ben Zobrist.
- He stands a pretty good chance of going 20/20 this season. He currently has 19 stolen bases.
- He’s seeing 3.71 pitches per plate appearance, maybe because OBP is finally included on the scoreboard.
- He smiles 3 times per minute.
I know that Jeff Francoeur is often an easy target because of his immense tools, kindness to beat writers, and inability to draw a walk, but baseball is simply more fun when Francoeur is playing well. Because, for what it’s worth, Francoeur looks like a ballplayer, one gifted with a cannon for an arm and power in his bat, hence all the love when he was a “run-producing machine” for the Braves in the early stretch of his career.
No, I don’t think he will re-produce his 2011 season next year, and no, I don’t think it was a great idea for Dayton Moore to re-sign Francoeur, but worse things have happened on and off the ball field. Gathering 1,000 hits is no easy task and so I think a hearty congratulations is in order. Hope this makes up for all the snarky posts that I have posted and are yet to post.